Teeth cleaning is a preventive treatment performed by dentists to help people achieve and maintain better oral health. At Radiant Smiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our teeth cleaning procedure in Pineville, NC thoroughly removes plaque and tartar on our patients’ teeth to prevent cavities and other gum and tooth-related problems from occurring.
People who are experiencing gum disease often assume that gum disease is a severe condition that may require complex or extreme solutions to fix. While this may be true in some cases, most gum diseases can be addressed with procedures such as oral cleanings.
The major difference between having a mild or serious gum problem is dependent on how quickly the problem is discovered and managed. Practicing good oral hygiene and visiting your dentist for regular teeth cleaning can help you uncover symptoms of gum disease and treat them before they become serious.
Today, Dr. Raynald L. Desameau, DMD, your Pineville dentist, will explain how teeth cleaning can help you prevent gum disease. He will also discuss other treatments and activities that can help you get your gums back in great shape and give you a happy and healthy smile.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease occurs when infectious bacteria are allowed to build up in your mouth and around your gum line, causing inflammation or bleeding in your gums. It is an oral bacterial infection of the gum and as stated by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), gum disease is common among adults in the US over 30 years of age.
So, you are not alone if you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease or already have gum disease. Our dental team at Radiant Smiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry can help you with the best ways to treat gum disease and also provide you with other preventive care to maintain optimum oral health.
The 3 Stages of Gum Disease
Gum diseases begin mildly, but when left untreated can become much more complicated to deal with. Advanced gum problems such as periodontitis can lead to the destruction of the tissues surrounding your teeth, causing tooth loss. There are three basic stages of gum disease development. The stages outlined below highlight the growth of bacteria-causing gum disease in the mouth when left untreated.
The three stages of gum disease development are:
Gingivitis is the first stage of gum disease. During this stage, bacteria growth occurs around your gum line, and you may begin to experience symptoms such as mild inflammation, soreness, and potential bleeding after brushing or flossing. If left untreated, gingivitis develops into periodontitis, which is a more severe form of gum disease.
Periodontitis is the second stage of gum disease and according to the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP), it occurs when bacteria flourishes and becomes a sticky white substance called plaque. The plaque later hardens to form tartar (a yellow substance) that becomes difficult to remove by brushing, flossing, or with mouthwash, except with professional teeth cleaning procedures such as scaling and debridement.
Advanced periodontitis affects the tissues and ligaments of your jawbone hindering it from developing the right anchor system for your teeth. At this stage, the tissues in your jawbone and gumline have been destroyed by the infectious bacteria, causing them to pull back and wear away. Your teeth eventually loosen and fall out during this stage.
How Does Our Teeth Cleaning Procedure in Pineville Treat Gum Disease?
During routine cleaning appointments, you can expect to have your teeth professionally cleaned and polished. Dr. Raynald uses special tools to remove tartar from your teeth. Our professional teeth cleaning service in Pineville, NC gets rid of plaque from hard-to-reach areas of your mouth before it develops into severe complications.
X-rays may be performed as necessary, allowing your dentist to assess the underlying structures of your mouth. X-rays show potential areas of your gum that may be affected by infectious bacteria and help us provide the needed care to prevent it from spreading. Our teeth cleaning procedure in Pineville involves three techniques:
- Tooth Scaling: Scaling involves removing layers of substances or films present on your teeth surface. It essentially helps to fight the development of cavities and also inhibits the occurrence of gum-related disease.
- Tooth Polishing: Polishing is done after tooth scaling. It involves making the surface of your teeth clean and smooth. Polishing removes plaque and tartar entirely from your teeth while making them clearer, to give you a beautiful smile.
- Debridement: When you accumulate so much tartar that scaling cannot remove them, debridement is used to remove the tartar. We employ a variety of dental tools to carefully loosen the hardened tartar deposits and remove them from your teeth.
Additional Benefits of Our Teeth Cleaning
Apart from helping you maintain healthy teeth and prevent gum disease, our professional teeth cleaning procedure also combines numerous benefits in a single visit. With teeth cleaning, you have simply signed up for the following additional benefits:
- Prevention of Other Health Conditions: Plaque that causes gum disease can travel through the bloodstream, increasing patients’ risk of developing other conditions such as heart disease and stroke.
- Improve Bad Breath: One of the first visible symptoms of gum disease is persistent mouth odor or bad breath. A professional teeth cleaning treatment can immediately reduce bad breath.
- Protect the Roots of Teeth: Gum disease bacteria can cause deep pockets to form between your teeth and gums. These pockets eventually begin to pull away from the teeth, resulting in tooth loss.
- Prevent Cavities: Regular teeth cleaning prevents the build-up of cavities by removing plaques and tartar in the teeth. Cavities are the leading cause of tooth decay in children and adults, but they can be prevented through routine dental cleaning.
- Remove Surface Stains: Teeth cleaning does not only involve removing plaque and tartar. The procedure also includes polishing your teeth to make them smooth and clear, thereby removing minor surface stains from your teeth.
Other Ways to Prevent Gum Disease in Pineville
Seeing your dentist twice a year is not sufficient to keep your teeth healthy and prevent gum disease. You must also practice good dental hygiene at home! This helps to maintain your oral and overall health while limiting the build-up of plaque and tartar. Your oral health has an impact on your overall health as your mouth serves as a gateway to the rest of your body.
The following habits can help you prevent gum disease and maintain good oral health:
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss every day, at least once.
- Replace your toothbrush after 3 or 6 months or when they don’t appear straight anymore.
- Rinse your teeth daily with mouthwash or an oral irrigator.
- Tobacco products should be avoided.
- Consume sugary foods in moderation.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
Quality Teeth Cleaning in Pineville, NC
At Radiant Smiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our primary goal is to provide you with the best dental care to help you maintain the beauty of your smile and your overall health. Our quality teeth cleaning procedure can help you protect your teeth from cavities, decay, and gum diseases.
We want you to remember that quality dental health comes from maintaining good oral hygiene. Visiting our dental office for routine teeth cleaning in Pineville, NC, twice a year could be the solution to preserving your teeth and maintaining your smile. Our dental team ensures you feel comfortable and relaxed during the entire procedure. Schedule a teeth cleaning appointment with us today and let’s help you get rid of cavities and inhibit bacteria-causing gum disease.